Thursday, March 25, 2010

March 25, Day one of Boston Trip

Woke up at 4:15... mom just could not wait to get me up. She loves walking into the room and waking me up. I got ready for the day, ate breakfast, and we were in the car by 5:00 going to the airport. I thought mom was a little scatter brained, she thought she misplaced the boarding passes, I think she needed her coffee. She settled on getting Starbucks (watered down version of Caribou... according to her). We got through security with no problems. We meet Terry and Debbie at the gate. Everyone needed their breakfast now, but I was the smart one and ate before we left.

On the plane there is WiFi but you have to pay for it, they find any little way to get more money out of you, it is not like the plane tickets are enough. We landed early in Boston, walked throught the airport to get to the rental car, a Hyundai SUV. We entered in our next location into the GPS and we were off.

FENWAY PARK opened in 1912 and won their first World Series as the Boston Red Sox in 1913. Oh I am sorry i forgot, we ate lunch first at Cask and Flagon, I ate New England Clam Chowder and a salmon sandwich. I liked it and everyone else seemed to think it was so so. Ok so on to Fenway Park, Terry, my mom, and I all went on the tour. We started in the souvenir shop and waited to walk across the street into Gate D for the 50 min tour. This field is extremely historic and that was my favorite part, besides the Green Monster. Terry's favorite part about the baseball field was the origination of the ballparks name. Fen is the Swedish name for a swamp and the field now sits on the old landfill. Also Terry's second favorite part was preventing my mother from tripping over all of the obstacles. My mothers favorite thing about the ballpark was the red chair out in right field. The red chair symbolizes the longest homerun ever hit in Fenway Park, Ted Williams hit 510 feet. The ball hit a man wearing a straw hat, and as the newspaper headline read "knocked some sense into the Yankee Fan." s Ed the tour guide went on to share that Yankee fan became a Red Sox Fan, and after some years the family of the man wearing the straw hat 30 people to be exact came and sat in that row to remember that homerun. To say the least the history of Fenway Park was my favorite part, the wooden seats, the owners keeping original pieces as in the old owners putting their initial on the Green Monster in morris code, and last but not least the view of downtown Boston while sitting in the seats of a ballpark was amazing.


When we were done with our tour we walked around the ballpark bck to the car and I thought it would be fun to knock on the car to wake up Debbie. I did that and she woke up startled. As we were standing outside the car waiting for the doors to get unlocked the car alarm went off because someone touched the door handle. What makes the story better is that Debbie couldn’t find the keys to turn the alarm off. The three of us were outside the car laughing, if you know Debbie this isn’t the first time she has temporarily misplaced keys. GOOD LAUGH!!

We left Boston around 4:00 and were on our way to Springfield, Mass. Along the way they have the coolest rest stops, the Gulf gas stations with a wonderful variety of food choices.

We arrived in West Springfield at our Hotel and everyone had nap time.

We went to dinner at Cals, and my food was yummy and this time everyone agreed.

I hope you enjoy the photos.

Talk to you tomorrow... NIGHT!

Not all the pictures would post, when I get home I will post some of my cool shots from Fenway, but tomorrow I will be taking Gymnastics photos.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, authentic New England clam chowder. I am really jealous.

    ReplyDelete